Bachelors of Science in Architectural Engineering – Degree Course Outline
The construction industry is one of the largest industries in most developed countries such as the US. Yet, the said industry is still growing at an amazing rate. The outstanding growth has led to a huge increase in the demand for building professionals such as architectural engineers. The demand for the services of the said professionals has also been further increased by today’s fast paced world where new technology, techniques, innovations, processes, and materials are developed and introduced every now and then. Experts are needed to make the most out of progress.
The degree program for Bachelors of Science in Architectural Engineering is centered on arming the students with knowledge and skills in the basics of engineering with specialization on the materials and processes employed in construction as well as the way the project uses energy and interacts with the environment. It not only makes the student competent in the construction of average buildings and structures but also with the building of advanced and complex facilities. The students will be highly adept in making a project interact with the surroundings in the most efficient and sustainable manner. They will become masters of designing and creating effective environmental control systems such as ventilation systems, electrical systems, water systems, etc.
Students will take up courses in the commonly used construction methods so that they have a variety of options in approaching a project. They will also be taught how to keep themselves updated with new methods being introduced in the industry. You will also be communicating and supervising a lot of people during a project so you will also undergo project management courses to enhance your communication skills and ready you on dealing with unforeseen issues on the spot. You will be presented with numerous advanced technical and arithmetic courses as well as basic and advanced courses in arts and sciences.
Program Educational Objectives
Graduates of the degree program are should be able to resolve architectural engineering issues in a systematic and efficient manner. They are expected to:
- Practice in a professional and ethical manner.
- Utilize the knowledge and skills they have learned to formulate, implement, and evaluate sustainable solutions for their projects.
- Undergo continuing professional education to ensure they will keep growing as members of the profession.
- Become leaders in the field by showcasing outstanding communication and leadership skills that will lead to the proper completion of the project.
Students who finish the degree program should have obtained:
- The ability to apply their knowledge in engineering, mathematics, and science as they go through the project.
- The ability to gather, analyse, and interpret data and information and use them in experimentation and formulating blueprints.
- The ability to formulate systems and/or processes that will be able to satisfy the needs of the project without going beyond the restrictions set by the environment, legal system, or the client.
- The ability to work with different professional groups.
- The ability to troubleshoot construction problems.
- The ability to understand and be understood.
- The ability to adapt to changes that may come to the field of engineering.
- The ability to recognize threats and opportunities that affect the project.
Completing a degree program in Bachelors of Science in Architectural Engineering can land you employment in any of the following sectors:
- Architecture Firms
- Consulting Engineers
- General Contractors
- Government Agencies